chmod to other than root:wheel

Stanislav Sedov ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru
Sun Aug 6 06:08:19 UTC 2006

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 22:41:50 -0400
"Dan Langille" <dan at langille.org> mentioned:

> A user has suggested installing bconsole (part of the sysutils/bacula-
> client port) as "chgrp bacula" and "chmod g+w", as opposed to the
> default root:wheel.  I think that makes sense.  Do we have a policy
> on this type of thing?

Why you need to make executable group-writable? For what it's intended
for?

Regarding datafiles - we have a lot of ports that change owner/group/perms
of installed files. You could redefine SHAREMODE/SHAREOWN/SHAREGRP
variables to install with right permissions.

--
Stanislav Sedov         MBSD labs, Inc.         <ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru>
Россия, Москва         http://mbsd.msk.ru

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.  -- A. Einstein
PGP fingerprint:  F21E D6CC 5626 9609 6CE2  A385 2BF5 5993 EB26 9581