HEADS-UP: DESTDIR support committed to Mk/

Gábor Kövesdán gabor at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 5 09:02:26 UTC 2006

Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 10:49:11AM +0200, G?bor K?vesd?n wrote:
>
>> Edwin Groothuis wrote:

>>> Having read the wiki, please let me ask a couple of questions to
>>> make sure there is consensus on what needs to be done to make all
>>> ports DESTDIR happy.
>>>
>>> - All ports Makefiles should be checked for installs into PREFIX,
>>>  and replaced by TARGETDIR (or DESTDIR/PREFIX)
>>>

>> Yes, TARGETDIR resolves to DESTDIR/PREFIX, which should be the final
>> destination. In many ports we have a do-install or post-install target
>> with something like:
>>
>> @${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/foo ${PREFIX}/bin
>>
>> This is definitely not good, since it will install to ${PREFIX} even if
>> you set DESTDIR, so this needs a s/${PREFIX}/${TARGETDIR}/.
>>

> It will be much better to not change that in almost in every port, but
> change meaning of PREFIX instead:
>
> PREFIX == DESTDIR/DESTPREFIX

That would be quite a wrong interpretation of PREFIX and would violate
POLA, since it can't be overridden anymore in the old context. Another
reason not to do so is, that we need the current PREFIX for the relative
paths I talked about for hardcoding the run-time paths of config files,
etc. We would need to change those to DESTPREFIX then.

--
Cheers,

Gabor