HEADS UP: GNOME 2.14 being merged into the tree

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 30 17:53:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 10:35 +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Hello Joe,
>
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 18:21 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > > At this late stage of the 5.5/6.1 release cycle, it was deemed that none
> > > of the packages were going to be rebuilt, so we have been given
> > > permission to merge GNOME 2.14 into the ports tree at this time.
> > >
> > > The first step will be a merge of GStreamer 0.10.  When that is
> > > complete, the tree will be locked for the GNOME 2.14 merge.  The good
> > > news is that this latest update no longer comes with the shared library
> > > change for GLib, GTK+, or any other low-level GNOME component, so
> > > upgrading will be much easier.
> > >
> > > I will send out another email when all the dust settles.
> >
> > Okay, GNOME 2.14 is now in the tree, and things should have settled.
> > Please report any problems to gnome at FreeBSD.org.
>
> Just read UPDATING, and wanted to ask about something, please.
>
> One of the steps includes: "portupgrade -o x11/gnome-screensaver -f xscreensaver-gnome", which
> replaces xscreensaver-gnome with gnome-screensaver, yes?
>
> Are they now both the same in terms of stability and feature-set?
>
> At present, there are differences between the two whereby xscreensaver-gnome provides "Blank
> After, Cycle After and Lock Screen After" settings which are not available in gnome-screensaver.
> There is also the fact that there are the "Display Modes" tab as well as "Advanced" tab in
> xscreensaver-gnome, that are not available in gnome-screensaver as well.

Then switch back to xscreensaver-gnome.  It's not going away.  The
default screensaver has just switched to gnome-screensaver to be inline
with the official GNOME Desktop.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org