HEADS UP: GNOME 2.14 being merged into the tree

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Sun Apr 30 09:35:21 UTC 2006

Hello Joe,

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 18:21 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > At this late stage of the 5.5/6.1 release cycle, it was deemed that none
> > of the packages were going to be rebuilt, so we have been given
> > permission to merge GNOME 2.14 into the ports tree at this time.
> >
> > The first step will be a merge of GStreamer 0.10.  When that is
> > complete, the tree will be locked for the GNOME 2.14 merge.  The good
> > news is that this latest update no longer comes with the shared library
> > change for GLib, GTK+, or any other low-level GNOME component, so
> > upgrading will be much easier.
> >
> > I will send out another email when all the dust settles.
>
> Okay, GNOME 2.14 is now in the tree, and things should have settled.
> Please report any problems to gnome at FreeBSD.org.

Just read UPDATING, and wanted to ask about something, please.

One of the steps includes: "portupgrade -o x11/gnome-screensaver -f xscreensaver-gnome", which
replaces xscreensaver-gnome with gnome-screensaver, yes?

Are they now both the same in terms of stability and feature-set?

At present, there are differences between the two whereby xscreensaver-gnome provides "Blank
After, Cycle After and Lock Screen After" settings which are not available in gnome-screensaver.
There is also the fact that there are the "Display Modes" tab as well as "Advanced" tab in
xscreensaver-gnome, that are not available in gnome-screensaver as well.

Thanks.

Regards,

Stacey