libtool upgrade, entry 20060223 in UPDATING

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Tue Apr 25 20:47:50 UTC 2006

+----[ Hans Lambermont <hans at lambermont.dyndns.org> (25.Apr.2006 17:10):

| Frank Laszlo wrote:
|
| > the '-p' argument for portupgrade will build packages on your staging
| > server, these packages can then be moved over to the production machine
| > to be installed.
| > Downtime should be minimal.
|
| Well, in my first mail I started here; I have the full list of packages
| already built on the staging server. I moved them over to the production
| server, removed all old ports, and tried to install all of them with
| this : pkg_add *.tgz . But pkg_add refuses to proceed, complaining
| "pkg_add: too many packages (max 200)". I have over 400. If I choose a
| smaller subset with for instance pkg_add [a-f]*.tgz I get dependency
| problems, +REQUIRED files that are not there yet etc.
|
| Perhaps I should up the hardcoded 200 to 500 in pkg_add and retry ?

+----]

Mmm ... maybe I'm missing something, but what about if you
iterate over the list of the packages you want to install
using a shell script that calls pkg_add for one package each
time? I'd say that if any one package was already installed
(required by other package) then pkg_add would skip it ...

#!/bin/sh

packages=`cat package.list`

for i in $packages
do
	pkg_add $i
done

Fernan

PS: maybe you need to set some env variable to point the
script to the place where packages are located?