Anyone thought of porting Wink to BSD?

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 20 23:36:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:32:10 +0530
"Kedar Damle" <kedar.damle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I wanted to make a couple of screencast about FreeBSD to show to a couple of
> my frnds and could not see Wink listed in the ports collection. Anyone
> thought about it ? Is this is right mailing list I am sending this question
> to ?
>
> Its currently at 2.0 for Window$ and 1.5 for x86 Linux.
> http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

If you really want to use this and no one takes the interest to port
it, the linux binary will run on FreeBSD.

Just download the linux tarball:

  http://freeware4u.com/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=235

Move it into some work directory and untar:

  tar xvzf wink15.tar.gz

Then, untar the data tarball:

  tar xvzf installdata.tar.gz

Run Wink from the current directory:
  ./wink

I do not suggest running any of the install scripts since they
would probably fail and/or dump/overwrite files that you may
have already.  Just run ./wink from that local directory.

I briefly tested for creating screenshots and then created a
movie file.  I couldn't play the Flash file since I don't have any
of the plugins installed.

I did not check to see what dependencies it really needed but I do
have linux_base, gtk2 and possibly many others already installed
that it might need to work.

However, I was disappointed in the output format options.  It seems
to be limited to Flash, PDF and other proprietary formats which
aren't very useful (for me).  YMMV

I would like to suggest that you look at sysutils/xvidcap as an
alternative.  It also includes a gtk2 version (gvidcap) and if I
remember correctly, can produce mpeg format videos which are
open source and playable on most any platform.  I've not used
this in a long time but perhaps it will suit your needs.

HTH,

Randy