-fPIC for a port that is just a library on amd64?

Larry Rosenman ler at lerctr.org
Wed Apr 19 18:34:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > How is this object used?  Is it really supposed to be static?

> OK, but you didn't answer my question :-)
It's a diff engine library, so I guess we could build it shared.

I guess my answer is, I don't know.

I know that the pecl xdiff extension needs the library, so I guess we could
make it shared, and see if any other ports (I don't know which ones, if any)
that depend on libxdiff.

What's the FreeBSD policy?  Do we default to building stuff shared unless
we know it's absolutely not needed?

LER

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler at lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893