-fPIC for a port that is just a library on amd64?

Larry Rosenman ler at lerctr.org
Wed Apr 19 17:58:12 UTC 2006

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>> It's just compiling a static object (a libxdiff.a).
>>
>> I just submitted a patch to the port that if ${MACHINE} == amd64 I
>> do the CFLAGS+= -fPIC but I'm not sure that's acceptable to you
>> folks on portmgr.
>
> How is this object used?  Is it really supposed to be static?
>
> Kris

I was going by the port which did NOT configure it with --enable-shared.

It appears to build a shared object if I configure it with --enable-shared.

I didn't look at the history of the port.  It's currently a ports@ port, and
the PR I sent (ports/96062)
has me grab maintainership.

If you want me to, I can update it to build shared, but I need to test it
some.

LER

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler at lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893