flash plugin

Wed Apr 19 07:20:19 UTC 2006

Quoting Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer at gmail.com> (from Tue, 18 Apr
2006 21:49:48 +0400):

> On 4/18/06, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
>> Quoting Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer at gmail.com> (from Tue, 18 Apr
>> 2006 18:10:14 +0400):
>>
>> > BTW, I managed to start mplayerplug-in with linux_base-8,
>> > but I needed to copy libstdc++ and libgcc over from fc3. I
>> > placed them directly in plugins dir and everything went
>> > perfect, no warnings from firefox at all. If there are no
>> > objections to this hack, I'll be able to submit a port soon.
>>
>> Please don't install linux_base-fc3 libs with your linux-mplayerplugin
>> port. Please use "USE_LINUX=fc3" instead.
>>
>> We are going to move the default linux_base to fc3 after 6.1 is out
>> the door (we need to commit some infrastructure changes first). So the
>> inconvenience should vanish "soon".
>
> I'm sorry, can you elaborate on this? I'm not going
> to install the libs in /c/l/usr/lib or something, instead
> I'm placing them just next to the plugin binaries. Many
> programs are bundled with required libs (well, firefox
> for one) and it doesn't seem to hurt, does it?

It depends on the libs and on the search order of the libs. I'm not
talking about application specific libs, but if firefox comes with
some libs which belong to the linux_base, it may hurt: If the libs in
the firefox port are searched first and if there's a (securiy) bug in
them which is fixed in the linux base, firefox would be still
vulnerable.

Bye,
Alexander.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust,