What does BATCH=yes really mean? (portmaster vs. bpm)

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Thu Apr 13 19:42:51 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 09:57, Sam Lawrance wrote:
> On 13/04/2006, at 7:23 AM, RW wrote:

> > BATCH is an instuction not to build ports with IS_INTERACTIVE set -
> > typically
> > ports with legal conditions that need to be agreed to.
> >
> > It's also used as a hint to build without asking for configuration
> > options.
> > This secondary meaning makes no sense with "make config". It seems
> > to me the
> > ports system is behaving correctly and portmaster is doing
> > something odd.
>
> I'm not so sure about that.  I would have expected it to select the
> default set of options, just as it would if you were building with
> BATCH set.

As I understand it, "make config" would then just do nothing when BATCH is
set.

As it stands, someone with BATCH set in a configuration file can still
run "make config" to set options. IMO that's the way it should be since it's
an explicit request, rather than a side-effect.

I think it would make sense for portmaster to check for BATCH itself.