ngrep

Vasil Dimov vd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 11 06:47:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 07:24:11AM +0200, Christer Solskogen wrote:
> I installed ngrep yesterday. It installs just fine, but it wont run. Now I
> wonder if that is just my system, or if this is a "known" bug.
> # ngrep
> Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)
>
> running ngrep as a user (which do not have access to /dev/bpf0) "works"
> (as in, no sig 11)
>
> $ uname -mrs
> FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p4 amd64
>
> Maybe it's a amd64 issue?

I investigated the problem, it's a ngrep+FreeBSD+amd64 issue -
they just do not include the appropriate header files on FreeBSD
I am not sure why but on i386 this does not cause a problem.

The fix can be found here:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=95612

--
Vasil Dimov
gro.DSBeerF at dv

Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra