lang/gcc41 - libjava report - install report

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Mon Apr 10 19:08:19 UTC 2006

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
>>> I'm a bit surprised, because I am not aware of any changes in GCC nor
>>> libjava that could be responsible for such a change.
>> I'm running gmake-3.80_2.
>
> Indeed, some tests on my side confirmed that GCC 4.1 again works and
> builds libjava, with GNU make 3.80 and without consuming too much memory.
> I plan to do some further tests and if these succeed as well, plan to
> enable libgcj again for the next snapshot due later this week.

Good news in deed. BTW, the old snapshots didn't consume too much
memory. The "virtual memory exhausted" messages appeared at exactly the
same place, no matter weather I had 256MB, 1024MB or 1280MB of memory in
my machine. In the last case top was showing 800MB of free memory during
one of my build attempts when the "virtual memory exhausted" message
appeared.

Something else, would it be possible to restore the old behaviour that
made gcc41 link against system libraries? An alternative would be to
outsource the libraries into a port of their own, so that ports build
with gcc41 can get a dependency on that.