BEWARE upgrading Horde System

Spadge spadge at fromley.net
Fri Apr 7 12:15:30 UTC 2006

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 03:24 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Figuring that, like alot of ports, it would check for a previous existence
>> of configuration files, I just upgraded my horde system ... and now I have
>> to go through and reconfigure all the servers :(  It didn't even back up
>> the original files that were there, it just overwrote them *scratch head*
>>
>> So, if you are going to upgrade ... make sure you back up everything
>> before hand :(
>
> The Horde config is backed up to conf.php.previous on every upgrade.
> Simply copying this file back to conf.php, checking permissions, then
> regenerating the config through the web is enough to get you right back
> where you left off (provided you have done any other required upgrade
> steps).
>
> Joe

Which begs the question why overwrite the working .conf with a .dist
copy in the first place? I never understood this about horde/imp, and
it's through getting tired of fixing it every time I upgraded that I
finally gave up and used something less good instead.

Why not overwrite the .dist and leave the .conf as it was? OK, so it may
not work after an update, but then again, it may. The way it is
currently set up, it's 100% guaranteed to *not* work after an upgrade.

If something is going to break after an upgrade, I'd prefer it to be
handled in the same way that phpBB2 does it; the board won't run at all
until you run the upgrade/update scripts and delete the install dir, but
it doesn't mess with your confs. And if the concern is that running the
new version with the old confs may cause serious problems, this would be
a kinder way to handle it. For starters, "you can not run this until you
have deleted install/" or something is at least informative.

I loved using horde/imp, but I hated administering it.

--
Spadge
"Intoccabile"