Using javavmwrapper

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Wed Apr 5 20:53:34 UTC 2006

Jeff Cross wrote:
> Can anyone give me some guidance in using javavmwrapper?  I have
> searched high and low (I know someone will post the link I have
> overlooked) but can't seem to find any detailed information on how to
> use it. I understand that there are some environment variables I can use
> to choose between different VMs (linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2, jdk-1.4.2, and
> jdk-1.5.0) but I can't seem to locate anything.

I do not know where this is documented, but the best way to deal with it
is setting the variable JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS in your '/etc/make.conf'. I.e.

JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS?= JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_BSDJAVA_JDK_1_5

for jdk15. The complete list is

                    JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_BSDJAVA_JDK_1_5
                    JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_BSDJAVA_JDK_1_4
                    JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_BSDJAVA_JDK_1_3
                    JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_FREEBSD_JDK_1_3
                    JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_BSDJAVA_JDK_1_2
                    JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_BSDJAVA_JDK_1_1
                    JAVA_PORT_LINUX_SUN_JDK_1_4
                    JAVA_PORT_LINUX_SUN_JDK_1_3
                    JAVA_PORT_LINUX_SUN_JDK_1_2
                    JAVA_PORT_LINUX_BLACKDOWN_JDK_1_4
                    JAVA_PORT_LINUX_BLACKDOWN_JDK_1_3
                    JAVA_PORT_LINUX_BLACKDOWN_JDK_1_2
                    JAVA_PORT_LINUX_IBM_JDK_1_4
                    JAVA_PORT_LINUX_IBM_JDK_1_3

to be found in '/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.java.mk'.

> Also, does it only help when compiling ports that use Java or will it
> work to run an application with a different VM?

You can run software that was built by older versions, but not vice
versa. That means you can run software that was compiled by 1.4 on 1.5
but not the other way around. Unless you set something like '-target
1.4' when building.