Preliminary HPLIP port (HP Printers)

Anish Mistry mistry.7 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 5 08:43:08 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 18:55, Anish Mistry wrote:
> I've got a preliminary version of hplip ported. You can download
> the port skeleton:
> http://am-productions.biz/docs/hplip.tgz
>
> MD5 (hplip.tgz) = ff1d670605cfcd4f519e9239fd08db3d
> SHA256 (hplip.tgz) =
> 61c29b302d58feeba496173e95e258bd66c811fae2a15530103df3469a899080
>
> I've updated the port skeleton to include the dependency to py-qt
> so that hp-toolbox works.  Note, the posted skeleton does not work
> with my Officejet, but it DOES work reading and writing with my
> Deskjet 5550.  That means hp-toolbox shows ink levels, status
> messages, the works.  If you have a Deskjet this should unlock all
> the
> functionality that HP has provided with the hplip software.
>
> I'm working on getting some feedback from the hplip folks about
> why, GetInEP is returning a bogus endpoint in the Device::Read
> method.  This seems Officejet specific and I'm still waiting on a
> reply from the HP engineers on the HPLIP list.
>
> The side-effect of this is not being able to read from Officejet
> devices means that scanning, and status information is not
> provided. Device::Write works, so I'm able to at least print to my
> Officejet 5510v.  The key right now for hplip, you have to run the
> printer as a ugen device not ulpt.
>
> If you'd like to try to get it setup, you need to:
> 1) make sure your printer is attaching as a ugen device.
> 2) install the port using the linked skeleton above
> 3) Add the following to you rc.conf:
> hpiod_enable="YES"
> hpssd_enable="YES"
> Note:  right now those daemons run as root, I'm going to change
> that once everything is working, but for right now that was
> easiest.
> 4) Stop cups
> 5) You MUST start the services in the following order
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hpiod start && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hpssd start
> && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd start
> 5) Run hp-setup and follow the prompts.
> 6) You should have been able to print out the test page in step 5.
> If not, send the relevant parts of your syslog output.
> 7) Run hp-toolbox for all of that fun printer information
I've uploaded an improved version of the port that works with my
Officejet 5510v.  You can now pull status information.  Scanning and
faxing work too!  I didn't have a destination fax number to send
something to, but the machine did initialize, dial, and timeout
correctly.  The scan correctly grabbed the image :).

http://am-productions.biz/docs/hplip-try2.tgz

MD5 (hplip-try2.tgz) = 6eed0dc30e062d9f78c584e13fca16a0
SHA256 (hplip-try2.tgz) =
a96c772232caea7c22ae55d5d06bb521c306101d1906d8d14e8a7e3b2002844a

To get scanning to work you need to do the following since the library
symlinking isn't fixed yet.

rm /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1
ln
-s /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1 /usr/local/lib/libsane-hpaio.so.1

hp-toolbox is your friend.

--
Anish Mistry