portscout - new distfile scanner

Shaun Amott shaun at inerd.com
Tue Apr 4 09:54:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 04:34:00PM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> Well, out of service... Yes.
>
> But it was still available from sysutils/newportsversionchecker.
>
> It was just that I couldn't run it regularely (If it runs at at
> most 100 TCP sessions at the same time, then my computer starts to
> be unresponsive, but this still takes 2 days to run. Can't afford
> that on my work machine. Make/bsd.port.mk is fun, but it kills
> performance now and then. Oh, and for these two days the bandwidth
> is more or less maxed out. Yes, digital sandpath here)
>

> Good to see somebody else took over the flame. Can't wait for my
> first received email :-)
>

> Please note that I still have a list of restrictions available if
> you like it:
> http://edwin.adsl.barnet.com.au/~edwin/ports/restricted-ports.html
> Might be handy if you want to prevent re-analyzing the tree :-)

2 days? Wow, that's crazy. :)

I have done another test run - with considerably improved results. I've
posted some timing information to the list.

I searched ports for your checker when it was mentioned before, but I
couldn't see it. However, I borrowed a few ideas based on the
information you had put up. One of my goals was to make portscout as
low-maintenance as possible, so I tried to avoid having lists of
ports/hosts, etc. But, it seems like this is inevitable, so I might make
use of your data files at some point.

I will definitely take a look at your checker now I know where it is.

Regards,
Shaun

--
Shaun Amott [ PGP: 0x6B387A9A ]