portscout - new distfile scanner

Shaun Amott shaun at inerd.com
Mon Apr 3 19:05:35 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

As I mentioned a few days ago, I've been working on a system for
checking for new ports distfiles. Someone pointed out that there is
already a script which does this - however, it seems to be out of
service.

My initial intent was to create a generic script for personal use, but
it has rapidly expanded into something which spiders the entire tree,
and uses a full-scale relational database.

The script - called "portscout" - uses a more sophisticated set of tests
to determine if a new distfile is available. It still has a few rough
edges, but it's nearly ready for day-to-day operation.

I have done a test run, for anyone who might be interested:

    http://beta.inerd.com/portscout/

I'm prepared to continue running this as a service if there is enough
interest; otherwise, I will either run it for parts of the tree, or
release it for personal use.

Feedback is welcome. In particular, if you spot any updates portscout
missed.

--
Shaun Amott [ PGP: 0x6B387A9A ]
    Scientia Est Potentia.