Java (jdk1.5) woes with firefox (1.0.6) and opera (8.5)

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Sep 30 11:01:08 PDT 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:52:30 -0500, Greg Lewis <glewis at eyesbeyond.com>
wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 10:16:13AM -0700, Mike Hunter wrote:
>> On Sep 28, "Greg Lewis" wrote:
>> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:03:49PM -0700, Mike Hunter wrote:

<snip>
>> gdb?
>> grooming
>> startup
>> >
>> > Determine the environment variables you need to set from the start up
>> > script.  Set them.  Run gdb on firefox-bin.
>>
>> I was afraid of that :(  I saw the other suggestion about attaching gdb
>> after launch, but in the past that's always crashed the application for
>> me...maybe I'll give it another try when.
>
> Its not as hard as it sounds, you can probably get the information by
> simply inserting a printenv in the appropriate place in the script.

You need to recompile Firefox with 'WITH_DEBUG=yes', after that run
'firefox --debug' or just 'firefox -debug', I don't remember but that
should get you in gdb by automatic when Firefox crashes.

BTW: Be sure to have those in your make.conf like this.

CFLAGS=    -O -g -pipe
STRIP=

Cheers,
Mezz