Need help with patching a file in a new port....

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at sigpipe.cz
Wed Sep 28 23:32:40 PDT 2005

# e.schuele at computer.org / 2005-09-28 21:46:37 -0500:

# e.schuele at computer.org / 2005-09-28 23:07:12 -0500:
> The first two lines of my patch-* file (presently, after some messing
> around) look like:
>   --- foo-0.1.1/src/Makefile.orig	Fri Apr  8 07:17:10 2005
>   +++ foo-0.1.1/src/Makefile	Wed Sep 28 21:14:29 2005

    Those paths are relative to the directory where patch(1) will be
    running. That's ${PATCH_WRKSRC} (same as ${WRKSRC} by default) in
    ports. BTW, ${WRKSRC} normally is the top directory in the tarball.

    I'd venture a guess that you need to strip the "foo-0.1.1/" from
    the patch paths. There are knobs to coerce third party patches that
    aren't relative to ${WRKSRC}, but it's a patch *you* are creating,
    so there's no need to complicate the Makefile.

> oh... I'm not determined to be the maintainer of the port... but listed
> myself as such since that's what the instructions said to do.  I'm
> willing to be... just didn't know if it was supposed to be *me* or some
> committer.  Guess that gets straightened out when I submit it?

    It's supposed to be you.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.