Java (jdk1.5) woes with firefox (1.0.6) and opera (8.5)

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Wed Sep 28 12:45:46 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:03:49PM -0700, Mike Hunter wrote:
> I recently upgraded to jdk1.5.0 in (perhaps foolhearty) search of a better
> java plugin experience.  Now unfortunately both firefox and opera crash
> hard when exposed to java pages.
>
> For firefox, I get:

> #
> # An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x35bb9adc, pid=57515, tid=0x822e000
> #
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0-p2-root_27_sep_2005_14_45 mixed mode)
> # Problematic frame:
> # C  [libmawt.so+0xd6adc]  processTree+0x284

This is a known problem (see recent posts to freebsd-java).  There isn't
a solution yet.  I didn't see this with my plugin testing, but quite a
few people are hitting it.

> For opera, I get:

> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so: Undefined symbol "__cxa_atexit"
>
> Interestingly for opera, the about box says "no java runtime installed", but
> the java preference has a validated path to the JRE....

Interesting.  I've never gotten the plugin to work with Opera.  It would
be nice to figure it out.  It looks like you may be able to get it a little
further with an appropriate LD_PRELOAD.

> Versions:  jdk1.5.0, firefox 1.0.6, opera 8.50

Out of interest, what FreeBSD version and what versions of X and OpenMotif?

> Last but not least, a beginner question:  How do you run firefox in gdb?
> I found firefox-bin, but it won't launch without the environment grooming
> that its scriptup scripts perform, and I can't run gdb on the startup
> script :(

Determine the environment variables you need to set from the start up
script.  Set them.  Run gdb on firefox-bin.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com