tar(1) versus unzip

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 14 13:41:40 PDT 2005

Skip Ford píše v st 14. 09. 2005 v 16:36 -0400:
> Why do ports that need to unzip a file still depend on unzip?
>
> I uninstalled unzip way back when bsdtar(1) was able to unzip but
> several ports still try to install it even though the system's
> native tar can unzip their files just fine, at least with the
> zipped ports I use.
>
> Looks like the magic to handle it can just go into a file in
> ports/Mk with USE_ZIP, but my Makefile-writing skills aren't good
> enough to do it.  I also don't know the version of FreeBSD that
> first included bsdtar with zip as the native tar.
>
> So, is there some reason unzip is still needed on all systems or
> has no one with the knowledge had the time to fix it?

1) Older FreeBSD revisions didn't have tar capable on unzipping, and no
one updated the ports infrastructure since.

2) Are you absolutely sure tar handle all obscurities that do happen in
real world zip files?

3) Some ports pass custom flags to unzip command, there would blow up
when replaced with tar, too.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>