portsdb -Uu error

David Thiel lx at redundancy.redundancy.org
Sat Sep 10 18:40:55 PDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 03:26:24PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 03:27:09PM -0400, Glenn Sieb wrote:
> > # portsdb -Uu
> > Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..
> > "Makefile", line 132: "XML logging is required to log to MySQL."
> > ===> security/samhain failed
> > *** Error code 1
> > 1 error
>
> This is exactly why portmgr insists, loudly, that .error not be used
> to flag no-install conditions, and why setting the IGNORE Makevar is
> always the correct solution.

Insists loudly to whom? I wasn't happy with the behavior myself, but
when I solicited input first on the subject, I was told to use .error,
and last time I asked, no one suggested a better solution. If this
is something that is indeed insisted loudly, it should probably be
documented in the porter's handbook, since it certainly wasn't loud
enough for me to hear it. I'll file a PR to fix.

Thanks,
David