Autotools paradox

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Thu Sep 1 01:00:03 PDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 06:00:33AM -0700, Loren M. Lang wrote:
> In a library I am porting, it requires nearly all the autotoolssssss to
> be run, including libtool, aclocal, autoheader, autoconf, and automake.
> The problem I am having is that patch-autotools is trying to patch
> aclocal.m4, but that file isn't created until aclocal is run in
> run-autotools.  What's the right fix?  Add aclocal to a target like
> pre-configure?

I figured out how to avoid the patch.  Just set LIBTOOLFILES to empty.
The patch seems to be useless to the port anyways since all it does is
force autotools to use the version of libtool installed in freebsd and
not the version in the package.  Since the package doesn't come with
libtool, automake -a symlinks to the installed version anyways.

My second problem now is that this port seems to be very picky about the
order the autotools run in, and the normal run-autotools target doesn't
work.  Should I just override the target in the port Makefile?