VMware under FBSD 6 (was: An idea about forbidden ports)

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Wed Oct 26 19:01:35 PDT 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Frank Knobbe wrote:

> My apologies for changing the subject, but I have a question to that
> very topic. I just completed a forklift upgrade from 4.10 to 6.0-RC1 on
> my new laptop. Pretty much everything built fine, except VMware, and I
> was trying to install it via pkg_add and ran into the same error.
>
> What is the reason that VMware doesn't built? Is this just temporary
> until Makefiles can be hacked to make it build under 6.0 or is there
> some architectural problem that prevents it from ever running on 6.0?
>
> Thanks,
> Frank
>
> PS: Other than a minor issue with ipfilter, FBSD 6 seems to run
> great.... but this is my first day with it, so...

Well, FBSD 6's version of gcc is picky about a few warnings that it wasn't
picky about before.  I tried fixing them, but it then froze the machine.
However, it does work properly on 5.4.  I will have to get someone who
knows the low level kernel internals to look at it and see what changed
between 5.4 and 6.0

So if you need vmware3, don't hold your breath, it could be a few months.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack