gzip-like CLI wrapper for p7zip

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Fri Oct 21 11:42:54 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 12:43:28PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 12:46:30AM +0200, Juergen Lock wrote:
> >[...]

> >  Well, i dont know if the 7z maintainers are interested in supporting
> > streaming themselves, it could well happen they bump their version
> > for other reasons, which means p7zip's version numbering would have
> > to be orthogonal to theirs...
>
> AFAIK, p7zip attempts to track 7zip sources closely and merge stuff.  But even
> if it forked, it'd be very unlikely (and counter-productive) to also fork the
> file format specs.  I don't think 7zip maintainers have a problem integrating
> streaming support if it doesn't break anything (but if you're concerned about
> that, never hurts to ask..)
>
> Please let me know if you add that wrapper script.

Well, because a `proper' p7zip executable could check the file type
and thus still support existing files in the old non-stream-aware
compressed format (I somehow overlooked this simple fact :) we can
leave this for others to decide and just add the preliminary script.
So, yes, I have just submitted the patch I posted here.