package-depend oddity (was: Re: [ports-i386@pointyhat.freebsd.org: dspampd-2.00.r2 failed on i386 5] )

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Oct 19 14:04:51 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 11:30:15PM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

>  [ moved on ports@ as I don't want to bother only Kris :) ]
>
> The story:
>
> On pointyhat mail/dspampd suddenly fails to package because it wants to
> depend on both clamav and clamav-devel.
>
>  I believe
> 20050207:  Honour OPTIONS if PACKAGE_BUILDING or BATCH are defined.
> to be responsible (I was doing kinda the same thing in the Makefile).
>
> I have a patch that should/will (as everything it's the same for me -
> package is OK, package-depends-list is not) fix the problem, but,
> strangely on my 6 and 5.4 machines I don't see any error (but the port
> depends on both clamavs):

Because clamav-devel and clamav install the same files, so whichever
one installs first will satisfy the Makefile dependency check for
both.  i.e. you can't be sure which one is actually installed.

This is flagged as an error on PH because it installs dependencies by
pkg_add, which has conflict-checking and won't spam clamav with
clamav-devel (or vice-versa).

> > Maybe (if something it depends on was broken).  Alternatively, a
> > dependency must have changed the version of clamav it depends on,
> > which caused your port to suddenly depend on both (an impossibility).
>
> Now, I don't see any other package that depends on clamav*
> Could someone explain to me what's happening here ? Why does it fail on
> pontyhat, but not an any other machine ? I've tested on a 6 and a 5.4
> cvsup'ed a few minutes ago and a 5.4 cvsup'ed a few months ago. Why
> does it depend on both clamavs ?

From some dependency..you'd have to trace through to see which one.

Kris