bzip2 port still out of date

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Mon Oct 17 18:40:41 PDT 2005

Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> I have gone through the patches noted in the
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-05:14.bzip2.asc
> and compared them with the current state of 1.0.3. There was only
> something missing in bzip2.c. If the maintainer (hi jharris!) is
> okay with it I will commit the following patch:
> [...]

Thanks for doing that, Edwin. Hopefully the maintainer will reply soon.

I also suggest that the pkg-descr be updated to include the following:

FreeBSD 5 ships with bzip2 in the base system, but it is trimmed such that it
includes only libbz2 plus the binaries for bzip2, bunzip2, bzcat, and
bzip2recover. However, /usr/bin/bzgrep is a link to zgrep, which supports .bz2
files. FreeBSD 5 does not include the shell script version of bzgrep or the
scripts for bzdiff and bzmore.

FreeBSD 4 does not ship with bzip2 in the base system at all.

This port installs the entire bzip2 package, including libbz2, the binaries
for bzip2, bunzip2, bzcat/bz2cat, and bzip2recover, and the shell scripts for
bzgrep, bzegrep, bzfgrep, bzdiff, and bzmore.

-Mike