[solved] Re: Java (jdk1.5) woes with firefox (1.0.6) and opera (8.5)

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Mon Oct 10 20:54:42 PDT 2005

Hi Mike,

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 03:25:16PM -0700, Mike Hunter wrote:
> On Oct 10, "Greg Lewis" wrote:

> > > You might want to try rebuilding the jdk with the recent patches on
> > > freebsd-java to use the XToolkit AWT implementation instead of the
> > > MToolkit one. Since the crash you originally mentioned involves libmawt,
> > > that seems like a reasonable thing to do.
> > >
> > > On second thought, you don't even need to rebuild jdk15. Just do as
> > > instructed here:
> > >
> > > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/awt/1.5/xawt.html
> >
> > That was going to be my next suggestion :).  As Panagiotis said, just
> > read that page and look at the environment variables you need to set
> > to try the XToolkit with an applet.  Hopefully that helps, since I'm fast
> > running out of ideas!
>
> Thanks everybody, it's working.  After I stopped misinterpreting the
> instructions ("export AWT_TOOLKIT=XToolkit", is the *opposite* of
> "export AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit"), the applet comes up quickly and the
> graphics are fine.  The fact that the applet subsequently causes the
> java vm to take 99% CPU and has to be killed is only a slight downer at
> this point :|
>
> I pointed my browser at other sites with applets and they seem to work
> fine.  Is there any favorite site with a simple applet people use to check
> if their java plugin stuff is working?  I stumbled across yale's "ssh
> applet" and it seemed to work well....

Great to hear thats its running now (at least to some extent :).  Thanks
for your effort in eliminating all the other possibilities!

I usually check if the plugin is working correctly by using some of
the applets you can find in /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/demo/applets.  There
are also applet versions of SwingSet2 and Java2D installed in the demo/jfc
subdirectories that you can try.

The attached two patches should make XToolkit the default (they were
recently posted to freebsd-java).  If you or someone else who had the
same problem could recompile jdk15 with them and verify that you then
don't need to set the environment variable that would be great.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com