FreeBSD ports: 1 unfetchable distfiles: shells/ksh93

Joe Kelsey joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us
Mon Oct 10 16:05:15 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 00:08 -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 04:27:04PM -0700, Bill Fenner wrote:
> > By the way, is it legally reasonable for the port to accept the
> > pre-download license on behalf of the user?
>
> I don't think so.

Glenn Fowler disagrees with you:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:29:02 -0700 Joe Kelsey wrote:
> The ksh and uwin sources require agrrment with the Common Public
License.  I have no problems with this license, nor does anyone I know
personally.  However, the question recently arose about the use of the
username and password in automatically retrieving new releases of the
programs.  I have used the standard username and password in programs
that automatically get new versions, and someone asked if that was a
legal thing to do.

> As far as I can tell, the ATT web site specifically allows
"hardwiring" the username and password into automatic software.  Does
anyone interpret the words on the AT&T license page
> http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/license/cpl-1.0.html
> differently?

hardwiring is fine

legal dept wants some reassurance that downloaders are aware of the
license and we can respond:
  "they had to scroll the license to get the download user name and
password"
and
  "the download user name indicates the presense of and agreement to the
license"