Dealing with unversioned shared libraries

Paul A. Hoadley paulh at logicsquad.net
Mon Nov 28 22:08:25 GMT 2005

Hello,

I am trying to update the textproc/refdb port.  The RefDB port depends
on one or more of the database/libdbi-drivers shared libraries, and
hence indirectly on database/libdbi.

RefDB 0.9.6 (the latest version) needs the latest version of libdbi
(libdbi-0.8.1).  It won't build under previous versions of libdbi.  As
far as I can see (though I have only a rudimentary familiarity with
the shared library system), the shared libraries installed by
database/libdbi and database/libdbi-drivers aren't versioned.  That
is, database/libdbi installs:

-rw-r--r--   1 root   wheel    41852 Nov 14 18:26 libdbi.a
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root   wheel       11 Nov 14 18:26 libdbi.so@ -> libdbi.so.0
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root   wheel    47133 Nov 14 18:26 libdbi.so.0*

And, for example, selecting the MySQL backend for
database/libdbi-drivers installs:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  23156 Nov 14 18:27 libmysql.so*

in /usr/local/lib/dbd.  Is there a way I can specify the dependence on
libdbi-0.8.1, and the corresponding libdbi-drivers?

--
Paul.

w  http://logicsquad.net/
h  http://paul.hoadley.name/