tips for using CVS for managing maintained ports ?

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Sun Nov 27 19:49:55 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 13:51 +0200, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
<snip>

> Now since I'm not very found of reinventing the wheel I thought to ask
> around how do you use CVS for managing you ports rather that
> experimenting until I get it right.
>
> Do you have a complete copy of the Ports Tree (instead of /usr/ports or
> other place) ?
>
> And how do you manage your working versions - using a branch (i.e. the
> Makefile is the Ports Tree is at v1.23 and you work on 1.23.1.x until
> you submit/commit the next version and the you work on 1.24.1.x,
> etc.) ? How do you keep your local repo in sync with the freebsd.org
> one ?
>

> Any tips, doc pointers, etc. will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

For BSD# (we maintain Mono) we use a seperate CVS with a partial ports
tree. [1]  All changes are made in there before being committed to the
FreeBSD tree.  We have a script called mono-merge (based on FreeBSD
Gnome's marcusmerge) which is used to merge the local BSD# checkout with
a system's local FreeBSD tree.  To generate patches I just use marcus@'s
merge_gnome.pl [2] with a few minor changes.  Most of what we do is
based of of how the FreeBSD Gnome team manages development versions of
Gnome.

Tom

[1]
http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/portstools/merge_gnome.pl