kernel panic with sshfs (FUSE)

Thiago Damas tdamas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 12:37:11 GMT 2005

  I experimented a kernel panic, when trying to create a md device
using a file located in a sshfs (FUSE) filesystem;
# pkg_info | grep fuse
fusefs-kmod-0.2.19.6 Kernel module for fuse
fusefs-libs-2.4.1   FUSE allows filesystem implementation in userspace
fusefs-sshfs-1.3_1  Mount remote directories over ssh

# uname -a
FreeBSD noc2.interno 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #3: Thu Nov 10
21:07:03 BRST 2005
root at noc2.interno:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/NOC2  i386

  Unfortunately, I havent DEBUG flags turned ON in this kernel, but
its easy to reproduce:
# mount
/dev/fuse0 on /mnt/sshfs (fusefs, local, synchronous)

# cd /mnt/sshfs
# mdconfig -a -f somefile.img
<KERNEL PANICS WHERE>

  Maybe will be  necessary to introduce some code in the fusefs module
to deny this operation, IMHO.