ports/86512: [new port] lang/gcc401

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 23 23:01:48 GMT 2005

Synopsis: [new port] lang/gcc401

Responsible-Changed-From-To: gerald->ports
Responsible-Changed-By: gerald
Responsible-Changed-When: Wed Nov 23 22:27:11 GMT 2005
Responsible-Changed-Why:
Sorry for the delay, had been gone for some time.

I don't want to veto/reject this, but I won't be the one to maintain
such ports, so I'm returning this to ports at .

My personal opinion is that this is not worthwhile, because release
branches are supposed to be stable, and generally are.  If there was
any perceived unstability earlier this year, that was due to me cleaning
up the ports, and due to problems with Java support.  In fact, one can
consider it harmfull to some extent, since by tracking a release branch,
in the rare case there is a problem, we can have it fixes rather sooner
than latter, before the next release.

Also, GCC x.y.z is not necessarily strictly better than GCC x.y.z+1 in
all regards, even though that's the goal, so by that reasoning we'd have
to have a gcc401, a gcc402, a gcc403 and so forth port.

(If there were problems with 4.0, keep in mind that this was rather large
a version jump. Nobody usually would use 4.0.0 for production, would he?)