VMware

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:32:55 GMT 2005

On 11/21/05, Annelise Anderson <andrsn at andrsn.stanford.edu> wrote:

>         Vmware 3.3 is in ports, but vmware has advanced to 4.5, 5.0, and
> now 5.5 is in beta testing.  All of these run FreeBSD as a guest (I'm
> running 6.0 as a guest on Windows XP).
>
>         But VMware 4.5, 5.0, and 5.5 don't run on FreeBSD, which I think
> is unfortunate as it prevents FreeBSD from being used as a test platform
> for other operating systems.  While native FreeBSD support would be nice,
> running with linux emulation would be okay, but not even this works.
>
>         Wouldn't this be an important priority for making FreeBSD a more
> widely used test platform?
>
>         Thanks you for your consideration.
>
>                 Annelise Anderson

This has been discussed on this list for a few times
now. If you want to raise some ideological issues,
please do so on advocacy@

In short, the answer to your question is "no".

We have bochs and qemu, which are wonderful at
emulation of different architectures. If vendors want
so, and will do (or sponsor) the appropriate work,
we'll welcome Virtual PC and VMware software. If
you want to do this work yourself - for free - you'll
be welcome, too.