Why does security/amavisd-new depend on db3?

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 14:06:45 PST 2005

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 13:29, Craig Boston wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 01:01:15PM -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > This would still be wrong:
> >
> > .if ${.CURDIR} == /usr/ports/databases/p5-BerkleyDB
> > WITH_BDB_VER?=42
> >  .endi
> >
> > It is equivalent to:
> >
> > in pkgtools.conf:
> >   MAKE_ARGS = {
> >         'databases/p5-BerkeleyDB' => 'WITH_BDB_VER=42',
> >
> > in pm-020.conf
> > databases/p5-BerkeleyDB|WITH_BDB_VER=42|
>
> Actually, those are not quite equivalent.  The make.conf entry should
> work around the problem.  See below for details.
>
> > Maybe you mean to set it as a global
> > value ie. without the .if ${.CURDIR} == /usr/ports/databases/p5-BerkleyDB
> > wrapper?  If that were the case it would still have no effect on
> > security/amavisd-new where the incorrect dependency is being recorded,
> > see for yourself:
> >

> > cd /usr/ports/security/amavisd-new
> > /usr/ports/security/amavisd-new>grep WITH Makefile
> >
> > .if !defined(WITH_MILTER) || (!exists(/usr/lib/libmilter.a)
> > && !exists(${PREFIX}/lib/libmilter.a))
> > .if defined(WITH_MILTER) && !defined(AMAVIS_NOAMAVIS)
> > .if defined(WITH_MYSQL)
> > .if defined(WITH_PGSQL)
> > .if defined(WITH_LDAP)
>
> It would work either as a global or with the CURDIR trick, due to the
> way that the dependencies are being generated.  It's true that the
> amavisd-new Makefile itself is unaffected by WITH_BDB_VER, but the
> p5-BerkeleyDB Makefile _IS_ evaluated at some point during the install of
> amavisd-new (regardless of whether it was already installed during that
> step or not).
>
> During the install phase of amavisd-new, the +CONTENTS file is generated
> in part from the output of "make package-depends-list"
>
> What package-depends-list does, is that for each of the LIB_DEPENDS and
> RUN_DEPENDS, it will do the equivalent of this pseudo-code:
>
> cd ${DEPEND_PORT_DIR} && make package-depends-list

Something is bugging me so I just have to mention it here:

The +CONTENTS file should record how a port was built, ie historical
information.  Not how it might be built based on what is in the current ports
tree.  Instead of running package-depends-list whose outcome can change
depending on settings in make.conf really the dependent port's +CONTENTS files
should be parsed, that information is a historical record of how that port
was built before it was installed.

-Mike