Integrated DEBUG related macros to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG

Andrey Chernov ache at FreeBSD.ORG
Sun Nov 13 04:02:09 PST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:38:42AM +0900, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> Hi ports maintainers!
>
> 	I consider that DEBUG related knob should be integrated
> 	to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG.  So I want to add DEBUG to
> 	/usr/ports/KNOBS.  But following ports should be modified.
> 	How about do you think?
>
> 	ok: using WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG
> 	ok? using *_DEBUG_* knobs.  But I think that these should not
> 	    be replaced to WITH_DEBUG.  Semantics different.
> 	ng: using *DEBUG* knobs.  I think that these should be replaced
> 	    to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG.

*DEBUG knob has different meaning from port to port and often not just -g
adding, but turns on internal port debugging output/checks.

It means that it should be turned on/off separately on per port basis.
I.e. WITH_<portname>_DEBUG.

WITH_<portname>_* style options also allows to add them all into
/etc/make.conf without creating name conflicts between the ports.