ordering and timing /usr/local/etc/rc.d

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Nov 10 08:21:44 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 10:08:05AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2005, at 10:25 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>
> >i am having this problem with em0.  note <<<<====
> >
> >ntpd, mail, and apache started before em0 came up
>
> well, your em0 has an IP address before your services come up.  Just
> because it is not electrically communicating until later won't
> confuse any services.

At least one service was complaining lack of an IPv6 address so this is
a problem.  It is the case that if you need IPv6 addresses you need to
wait until the interface is up to get routing advertisements.

I've been thinking of adding some actual code to the NETWORK pseudo
target to wait a bit for configuration to happen.  That's probably what
is needed here.  What I haven't figured out is, what do I wait for.  It
may be that I'll have to provide several options including waiting for
links to become active.

-- Brooks