ordering and timing /usr/local/etc/rc.d

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Nov 9 10:12:02 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 09:04:37PM -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
> i would like to order and time startups in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> to deal with sequencing and timing issues, for example
>
>   o network services come up befofe the ether is really alive
>     and in contact with the world.  some of them don't behave
>     well if this happens (e.g. asterisk, ejabberd, ...)

The only cases I know of where this can happen are Intel wireless cards.
That can be fixed by having the ports install theirs scripts in a better
place.  At this point, all network devices should be up well before
localpkg is run.  That said, they days of programs that can't handle not
having an address at startup are numbered.

>   o exim starts before spamassassin daemon

This requires adding rcorder to localpkg.  Apparently dougb has plans in
this area.

-- Brooks