Request for comments: port-tags

Anton Berezin tobez at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 7 23:54:31 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 07:50:50AM +0100, Alex Dupre wrote:
> Anton Berezin wrote:
>
> >If you have any comments and suggestions with regard to port-tags, I
> >would like to hear about it. Is it useful? How can we make it more
> >useful? What are the shortcomings? Any show-stoppers which prevent you
> >from using it?

> I had a similar idea some days ago (well, only an initial and
> theoretical idea, no implementation). It's great to see I'm not alone.
> I like it very much.

Nice to hear.

> One thing we can add to enhance the tag classification is to add an
> optional PORTTAGS variable where we can define additional tags (not
> present in CATEGORY and COMMENT) for the port, so that "Maildir" could
> be for example associated with mail/dovecot. This will require
> additional work for maintainers, but I think it'll highly improve the
> searches.

Oh yes, I quite agree.  I'll incorporate the support for PORTTAGS (maybe
it sould just be TAGS?) into the indexer.  The best part is that no
individual maintainer needs to be forced to use this mechanism, the
indexer will fall bacl to CATEGORY and COMMENT if no tags are defined.
So the change can be gradual.

\Anton.
--
An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions.
-- Robert A. Humphrey