portmanager leaf reporting

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 18:07:10 PST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 17:46, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
> (Subject line changed to reflect new contents)
>
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 07:36:08AM -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > On Monday 07 November 2005 03:54, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
> > > Come to think of it, I seem to recall having the feeling that
> > > portmanager -slid wasn't showing all the leaves (i.e. was considering
> > > some things necessary that weren't).  I dismissed it at the time, but
> > > if it was real then this could just be a special case of that separate
> > > problem.  I've got an old script that I used to do the equivalent of
> > > portmanager -sl back before I'd heard of portmanager, so I'll see if I
> > > can reproduce and document the situation.
> >
> > [...]
> > I'll post the patch to FreeBSD then. I'm setting up java on this machine
> > to see to the reporting problem, might as well get that fixed now too.
>
> More info on the (possibly unrelated) leaves issue:
>
> My baseline for comparison is the output of my old pkg_leaves.sh script,
> which basically just checks for the existence of a non-empty
> /var/db/pkg/<pkgname>/+REQUIRED_BY
> file.  This gives the same results as pkg_info -R for every case I've
> tried, including several among the cases presented below.
>
> If I run portmanager -slid and remove from the script output all those
> packages that portmanager offers me for deletion, I am left with the
> following (i.e. files that I think should be leaves but which
> portmanager doesn't):
>
> apache-ant-1.6.5_1
> automake-1.4.6_2
> automake-1.5_2,1
> automake-1.9.6
> bison-1.75_2,1
> bison-devel-1.875d
> coreutils-5.2.1
> gcc-ooo-3.4.1_2
> gpac-libgpac-0.4.0
> help2man-1.36.2
> intltool-0.34.1
> libdts-0.0.2
> libtool-1.3.5_2
> libtool-1.5.20
> nasm-0.98.39,1
> p5-Archive-Zip-1.16
> p5-XML-Writer-0.600
> p5-type1inst-0.6.1_2
> patch-2.5.4
> rpm2cpio-1.2_2
> unzip-5.52_2
> xanim-2.92.0
> zip-2.3_2
>
> These are all build-time dependencies of other packages I have
> installed.
>
> If, on the other hand, I look at the output of portmanager -sl, the
> opposite problem occurs: a bunch of non-leaf ports are listed.  I
> haven't yet sorted through the list to get a full listing of the
> offending packages, but some examples are boehm-gc+threaded+redirect
> (needed by w3m-m17n-img) win32-codecs (needed by mplayer) pdflib (needed
> by gnuplot) ...
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Ian D. Leroux

I rewrote -slid to hopefully not list build dependencies because people were
complaining, I don't think its perfect yet but it should be close. -sl I
didn't touch, so its likely to be  very buggy.  Once I  know the main core of
portmanager is stable I'll devote more time to going over -sl and -slid.

I went ahead and loaded/tested java today, even after the patch I sent you,
there were still problems.  They are resolved now but all the changes are in
a new tarball, if you want it do this:

rm -r /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager/files
rm -f /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager/disinfo
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanage
in the Makefile change the version to 0.3.3
then

make, make deinstall,make reinstall clean

It'll fetch the new tarball but complain about no distinfo, you can ignore
that.

-Mike