Excessive dependancies for OpenOffice 2.0 port

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 7 08:29:15 PST 2005

On Sunday, 6. November 2005 19:58, Mikhail T. wrote:
> = On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 12:18:09PM -0500, Mikhail T. wrote:
> = > I'm surprised, you are not objecting to the port's building of its OWN
> = > C and C++ compiler, as well as a bunch of "small" things like STLport,
> = > db4, expat (yes, it depends on it, but builds its own too!), sablotron,
> = > xmlsec, etc. etc.
>
> = I don't think you realise how much work it is to keep OO building even
> = with stock vendor sources, let alone with third party versions of
> = those packages.
>
> Actually, I do realise that, and, in my opinion, it is _harder_ to keep
> it building the current way. The third-party packages -- installed by
> other ports -- have their own maintainers, who watch out for build
> problems.

I fail to see how going along with the vendor's default build system and
procedure is harder than having to massively patch around in there (and
having to redo those patches obsoleted every time the upstream sources change
significantly enough).

Given how outdated some of the bundled sources are, I would guess that
OpenOffice probably would have many issues with the latest versions of its
dependencies, requiring even more patches to OOo - or having to keep around
obsolete versions of these dependencies in ports.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org