vinum, 5.x performance, ... (was: Re: ANNOUNCE: GNOME 2.12.1 has been merged into the ports tree)

Lukas Ertl le at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 7 06:48:56 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Dirk Meyer wrote:

> Alexander Leidinger schrieb:,
>
>>> - vimum/gvinum ist not working with 4.x volumes
>>
>> Is this also true for 6.0? If yes, does Lukas know about it?
>
> 6.0 is not tested.
>
> systems have been upgraded from 4.11 to 5.4,
> gvinum can read, but complains in syslog.
> "plex request failed for gvinum"

According to the configs you sent, the subdisks have no driveoffsets
configured.  I have no idea how that could have happened, but apparently
classic vinum tolerated this.  Or is this from "vinum printconfig", and
classic vinum didn't print it?

Please check with:

dd if=<device> skip=8 count=6|tr -d '\000-\011\200-\377'

This reads the on-disk metadata.

thanks,
le

--