java/jdk14, BUILD_DEPENDS, and portmanager -u

Ian D. Leroux ian_leroux at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 7 04:03:12 PST 2005

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 07:42:37PM -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> Ian, I put the attached patch together to solve the java
> problem hopefully, but is not tested. Would you mind
> giving it a go?

Just tried it.  The newly patched version still thinks that
linux-sun-jdk is missing and tries to install it, but when that fails
(port marked IGNORE due to missing distfiles) it immediately proceeds to
update other things that depend on java.  Note that in the port status
summaries jdk14 is marked as CURRENT, so I think this patch fixes the
problem it was meant to fix.  I'm still not sure why it wants to install
linux-sun-jdk in the first place, but aside from that this version seems
to be doing the right thing.  I have a copy of the output (well, up to
the point where it started rebuilding openoffice) if you want it.

Come to think of it, I seem to recall having the feeling that
portmanager -slid wasn't showing all the leaves (i.e. was considering
some things necessary that weren't).  I dismissed it at the time, but
if it was real then this could just be a special case of that separate
problem.  I've got an old script that I used to do the equivalent of
portmanager -sl back before I'd heard of portmanager, so I'll see if I
can reproduce and document the situation.

Meanwhile, the short story on the new patch is "go".

Thanks,

Ian