ANNOUNCE: GNOME 2.12.1 has been merged into the ports tree

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sat Nov 5 21:21:51 PST 2005

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:14:13 -0600, KIMURA Yasuhiro <yasu at utahime.org>
wrote:

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: ANNOUNCE: GNOME 2.12.1 has been merged into the ports tree
> Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 02:42:48 -0500
>
>> Another important bit of news related to GNOME 2.12 is that we are no
>> longer supporting this release on FreeBSD 4.X.  You must be running
>> FreeBSD 5.3 or higher to get GNOME 2.12 support.
>
> Please let me clarily what 'this relese' means in this context.
> According to the HEADS UP alert of ports tree locking, PORTREVISION of
> more than 1100 ports are bumped to chase the update of glib20. Does it
> mean all of them are also no longer supported on 4.x?

Only the libraries or other lower stuff such as glib, pango, gtk and etc
are still support for FreeBSD 4.x. As for the other desktop stuff aren't
support for FreeBSD 4.x.

But, we will accept any patch that fix for FreeBSD 4.x as long it doesn't
break with FreeBSD 5.x, 6.x and 7.x. There is no reason to keep FreeBSD
4.x for desktop.

Cheers,
Mezz

> I'm not GNOME user and don't use typical GNOME applications such as
> nautilus or evolution on 4.x. So if 'this release' is limited to such
> GNOME specific one, There is no problem for me. But I use some
> applications on 4.x which depends on glib20 and/or gtk20 such as
> Firefox or Thunderbird. So it is very large impact on me if these
> applications also get non-support state on 4.x.
>
> ---
> KIMURA Yasuhiro

FreeBSD GNOME Team