Problems installing Xaw3d?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Nov 1 17:33:58 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 07:26:00PM -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:

> > > It works by default.  Something is wrong on your system and your
> > > system alone.
> >
> > That's barely possible, but unlikely.  I'm sure other people install
> > like this.
>
> I wonder exactly how many people are installing from packages instead
> of from ports.  I personally suspect that there are some hidden 'gotchas'
> in the former that don't get sufficiently exercised.  (I could mention
> the inability of this idiotic laptop to run portupgrade as installed
> from the 5.4 CD -- still undiagnosed.)

Well, it can't be too bad, since pointyhat installs all dependencies
from packages (in particular the X packages are not broken in the way
Greg was suggesting).  Greg's problem seems to have been trying to use
some old version of X with the current ports tree, and this kind of
thing is explicitly not supported.

Kris