GCC and /usr/bin/ld: unrecognized option '-Wl,-rpath

Loren James Rittle rittle at latour.waar.labs.mot.com
Tue May 31 08:44:23 PDT 2005

In article <Pine.BSF.4.62.0505281419340.4268 at acrux.dbai.tuwien.ac.at>,
Gerald Pfeifer<gerald at pfeifer.com> writes:

> Now that upstream GCC (4.1 development) finally is able to build again
> on FreeBSD after fixes to account for limited /bin/sh and everything works
> fine on FreeBSD 4.x, I've seen the following breakage on 5.4.

>    /usr/bin/ld: unrecognized option '-Wl,-rpath

> Any ideas what might be broken now??

No ideas off-hand.  I last built mainline FSF gcc on 5.4-STABLE on
May 19.  However, it appears that the limited /bin/sh issue never hit
my desktop due to a local system patch to bump ARG_MAX to 1048576.  I
suspect this issue isn't hitting my desktop either due to use of
(FSF) GNU ld version 2.16 20050510 rather than the system copy.
I'm bootstrapping today.  Will also bootstrap with system ld, if I fail
to see the problem.

Regards,
Loren