translated manpages

Tijl Coosemans tijl at ulyssis.org
Sun May 29 08:30:58 PDT 2005

I'm currently making a port for a program that has some of its manpages
translated into other languages but not all of them. There doesn't seem
to be a good way to handle this, since setting MANLANG assumes all
manpages have been translated.

I've found a mail in the archives from earlier this month
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2005-May/023177.html)
that tries to address the exact same issue, but I don't really like the
solutions provided there. In fact I don't even see how they can work,
e.g. when you want to install multiple languages. Putting the manpages
in the pkg-plist file would work, but then they aren't compressed.

I think it would be better if the list of manpages for a particular
language defaults to the standard manpages, just as it currently works,
but with the possibility to overwrite this list. Something like the
following perhaps to install German and French translations with the
latter being incomplete:

MANLANG= "" de fr
MAN1= page1.1 page2.1
MAN1_fr= page1.1

I'm not entirely familiar with Makefile syntax, but I suppose this would
require only minimal changes to Mk/bsd.port.mk and would still be
backwards compatible. There'd have to be something similar for MLINKS
too of course.

Other opinions?