/usr/ports/distfiles maintenance

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat May 28 15:01:42 PDT 2005

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 09:33:43AM +0100 I heard the voice of
Matt Mills, and lo! it spake thus:
> Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> >And, of course, every once in a while I get bored and newfs
> >/usr/ports entirely and re-co everything.  Just for sport.
>
> I've never resorted to that, and certainly shouldn't need to thanks
> to portsclean. :) If I notice that free space on /usr has taken a
> hit, a simple "portsclean -C" normally finds a large work directory
> that I forgot about.

Well, when I update my ports tree as a whole (approx. "whenever I feel
like it", which means maybe 2 or 3 times a month), I do a big find
first that clears out work dirs (as well as Makefile's, CVS's conflict
files, etc) before doing the cvs up.  But newfs'ing is good for the
soul!  8-}

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net