/usr/ports/distfiles maintenance

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Fri May 27 16:19:56 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 12:28:54PM +0100 I heard the voice of
Matt Mills, and lo! it spake thus:

> Something which has recently struck me as an unanswered question.
> How do you all maintain your /usr/ports/distfiles directory?

I'm a simple guy, myself; I don't see a big need for various automated
(and EXPENSIVE!  What're you people THINKING poking around 12,000-some
distinfo files?!) solutions.  When /usr/ports starts getting full
(approx. "every so often"), I poke around and delete some of the older
and bigger distfiles.  When we pass versions of really big stuff (like
X, or TeX, Mozilla, etc.) I delete the old ones.  You've got du,
you've got `ls -l | sort -n +4`...  there's lots of low-hanging fruit
without getting complex, especially since I'll bet you've got more
space for ports than I do.

And, of course, every once in a while I get bored and newfs /usr/ports
entirely and re-co everything.  Just for sport.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net