/usr/ports/distfiles maintenance

Matt Mills matt_mills at btopenworld.com
Fri May 27 06:03:23 PDT 2005

Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
 > On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 12:28:54PM +0100, Matt Mills wrote:
 >
 >> Hi all,
 >>
 >> Something which has recently struck me as an unanswered question.
How >> do you all maintain your /usr/ports/distfiles directory? This
isn't a >> topic I've *ever* seen discussed or even mentioned in all the
years >> I've been using FreeBSD.
[...]
 > Use "portsclean -DD" if portupgrade is installed on your system.
 >
 > -Kirill

(whoops, forgot to CC the list in my reply to Kirill...)

Ah! That certainly looks helpful. Specifically, "portsclean -D", since I
often deinstall and reinstall ports on different machines on my LAN
(shared ports tree, hence shared distfiles directory). However, it is
good to know that the -DD switch is there too.

/me tries it out...

titan% ls /usr/ports/distfiles | wc -l
      312
titan% portsclean -D
<snip output>
titan% ls /usr/ports/distfiles | wc -l
      218

Somewhat surprising since I thought I had nailed most of the stale ones
manually! :)

Thanks.

--
Matt